Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Blending in

It's no secret that I love Ghana.  I love Ghana and I am in love with Ghanaians.  I am charmed by the ways that we interact with one another, shouting to each other on the street, greeting everyone and any one, and enjoying hearty laughs.  It lightens my sould to have daily exchanges with my brothers and sisters, uncles and aunties from the car window, at the market or in my own home.  My heart is always open to othe laughter and waves of children.  Some of these moments happen because I am Obroni, but most happen because I am Ghanaian.

But it can also be exhausting.  Sometimes I just want to blend in.  The little moments that happen simply because I stick out in the crowd can be entertaining, but sometimes they wear me out.  There are times when I want get lost in the tunes on my headphones, read a book on the beach or eat my toast on the way to work without interruption.  I don't want to be the victim of a pop-in visit.  No, I don't want you to cut a coconut for me.  No, I don't want to buy your apples.  Yes, I have a tattoo.  No, my skin doesn't feel differently than yours.  Yes, I am white.  Yes, I just sat down to eat dinner and want to do so in minimal clothing.  I just wonder where the the line is drawn between captivating culture and tedious annoyances.  The line of tolerance seems to fluctuate daily.  I know Ghanaians find me to be just as interesting as I find them, but sometimes I'm just too tired to reciprocate and I just want to blend in.

This poor gal wasn't getting any reading done either.

I went to the beach in hopes of bonding with a novel.  Instead I bonded with these guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment